As easy as it may be to ignore, looking after your feet is vital. Exposed footwear, prolonged standing, high heels or ill-fitting shoes can cause great pain and injury. This article presents the possible causes of unhappy feet and offers some top tips on how care for them so these will be happy and beautiful feet.
Wearing open footwear during warm weather is tempting, but these can cause several problems. Open-backed shoes can cause the heel to expand sideways. This, in turn, can increase the possibility of cracked heels.
Prolonged standing up
Standing for an extended period of time, especially on hard floor, can cause friction and pressure on your feet. This could lead to fissures, cracks and open sores which can bleed and cause severe pain.
The rigid material of high heels can cause a painful knot at the back of the heel. The pressure caused by high heels can also lead to blisters. High heels also force feet into an unnatural position and inflame the bones or the nerves that surround them. It is recommended to wear lower heeled shoes as much as possible; the lower your foot is, the more natural the position it will be in.
Shoes that do not fit well cause friction on the feet. The increased pressure can cause many problems, including corns, blisters, athlete’s foot, nail problems, and even problems not related to the foot, such as back pain.
Top tips to get beautiful feet again
- Regular exercise does not only do wonders for your general health, but for your feet as well. Exercise can improve blood circulation, thus making the skin less prone to dryness.
- The use of open footwear should be avoided as much as possible to avoid problems such as cracked heels.
- When standing for an extended period of time is necessary, make sure you wear appropriate footwear with cushioning.
- If you have ill-fitting shoes, it is important to replace these with shoes that support and protect as soon as possible .
- It is important to remember that as you get older, shoe sizes change, so don’t rely on previous shoe size when buying shoes.
- Check your shoe size one or two times a year. Note that the time of day can affect your shoe size (if you shop later in the day, you will be more likely to get shoes that fit you because swelling occurs as the day goes on). Another important thing to remember is to wear appropriate socks or hosiery. The thickness of a sock can greatly how well a shoe fits.
- For smoother, softer skin, try exfoliating using the Scholl Velvet Smooth Express Pedi to remove dead skin layers, leaving you with soft, beautiful feet in an instant.
- Relax and give your feet a good soaking in warm water after a long, busy day. This will not only leave you feeling refreshed; it will soften the hard skin and reduce the possibility of cracked heels.
- Use the Scholl Foot and Nail Cream which contains moisturising factors which penetrate deep down to help hydrate the skin on the feet and help increase moisture levels in the toenails.
- A brief foot massage will not only feel great, but it will also improve blood circulation and help prevent cracked and dry skin of the feet.
Equipped with all these tips, you’ll soon have the confidence in showing off your beautiful feet to the world – and your feet will be a lot happier too!